Reporting A Death To report a death, call your local law enforcement authorities.
The Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office (JCMEO) is governed by Missouri Revised Statues. JCMEO is dedicated to providing exceptional death investigations services to the citizens of Jackson County, as well as other Missouri counties on a referral basis.
The JCMEO provides trained death investigators who will conduct scene investigations of homicides, suicides, accidental and natural deaths under our jurisdiction as determined by State Statutes. Board Certified forensic pathologists (Medical Examiners) will provide expert examinations of the deceased and conduct in-depth examinations utilizing the latest techniques in Forensic Pathology. The Medical Examiners will provide expert testimony in court and will remain neutral in their findings of determining manner and cause of death.
The JCMEO will continue to work closely with all Federal, State and local authorities and departments, which interact with the JCMEO. The JCMEO will also continue to educate the county and surrounding areas for mass fatality preparedness and the possibility of a contagious disease outbreak. The Chief Medical Examiner will continue to ensure that the JCMEO maintains National Association of Medical Examiner’s (NAME) and Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accreditations and continues its high standards of dedicated forensic services, education and training.
Our goals include:
- Continued growth of the Medical Examiner's Office and professional death investigation in Jackson County.
- Provide education and training to the communities we support.
- Provide Mass Fatality training and ensure community preparedness.
- Work and train with other support agencies in the community (Law Enforcement, Courts, Health, Funeral Homes, and others) to provide outstanding death investigation.
- Complete timely and quality investigative and autopsy reports.
- Maintain National Association of Medical Examiner's (NAME) and Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accreditations.
- Contribute to the public health and public safety of our community.
- Promote and support organ and tissue donation.