Recorder of Deeds

NOTICE: The Recorder of Deeds office is now open to the public at the Truman Courthouse in Independence. Online Services are now available. Check back next week for more information on full restoration of County services.


Marriage License

Are you getting married? Follow these steps!

Civil Union Registry

Certified Copy of a Marriage License

Request a certified copy of a marriage license here:


Request a certified copy by regular mail. The request should include:

  • Names utilized at the time of the marriage license application.
  • Date of the marriage
  • Current mailing address
  • Telephone number you can be reached if necessary. 

A $10.00 personal check or money order, made payable to the Recorder of Deeds Department, should be included. Certified Copies will be mailed the same day the request is received or the next morning.

Submit documents or requests by mail to:
Historic Truman Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Office
112 W. Lexington
Suite 30
Independence, MO 64050


Deed Preparation

The purpose of the Jackson County Recorder of Deeds Office is to review and index submitted documents for placement into the Public Record. For information on how to prepare a deed for submission look here.

Recording Requirements

 When preparing a document for submission, please be aware of these requirements.

Recording Fees

 A complete list of how to pay for recording services.

Request a Certified Copy of a Deed

Request a certified copy of a deed online here:


Search Documents

Military DD214 Form

The Recorder of Deeds verifies information on a request form before providing the requested information to the person completing the form, which must be notarized. Contact the Recorder by email: or call 816-881-4483

Visit the office Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. :

Historic Truman Courthouse
112 W. Lexington
Suite 30
Independence MO 64050

Redacting Personal Information

The Jackson County Recorder of Deeds strongly recommends that non-essential personal information be excluded from any document presented for recording with this office.

 More information

Divorce Decree

To receive a copy of a divorce decree, call Civil Records at 816-881-1710.

Uniform Commercial Code

The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) for the State of Missouri was substantially revised with the passage of Revised Article 9. The Code applies to all transactions which are intended to create a security interest in personal property or fixtures located in Missouri. Banks, mortgage companies and leasing companies file the largest volume of these liens.

 More information



Online Document Filing Portal

Banks, title companies, law firms, utility companies and a number of other organizations submit their documents to Jackson County via electronic filing.
If you are interested in more information about electronic filing or have questions, please send an email to the Recorder.

Electronic Signatures

Jackson County accepts electronic signatures and notarization through the E Recording process. With the implementation of the Governor’s Executive Order 20-08, Jackson County will now accept electronic signatures and notarization through the walk in or mail process as well. If you need legal assistance about how to complete the electronic notarization process, please seek legal advice from your real estate attorney.