The Collection office at the Truman Courthouse in Independence will be closed Monday Jan. 24 through Friday Jan. 28.


Collection Department Services

The Collection Department collects and accounts for approximately $905 million in tax revenues for more than 70 taxing jurisdictions, such as cities, school districts, etc., located within Jackson County.

Below is a list of services provided by the Collection Department. 


Research a Tax Account

Research current and past property taxes.

Schedule future payments through Jackson County's online app

Personal Property Tax

Personal property taxes are levied annually against tangible personal property and due December 31 each year. The United States Postal Service postmark determines the timeliness of payment.

 More information.

Real Estate Property Tax

Real Estate property taxes are levied annually and due December 31 each year. The United States Postal Service postmark determines the timeliness of payment.

 More information

Senior Quad Payment Program

Jackson County offers Senior Citizens a "Quad Payment Program" to spread their County real estate tax bills over 4 payments. Visit the program page to learn more about this option for seniors.

State Tax Credits

Property Tax Credit

Certain senior citizens and 100% disabled individuals may be eligible for a Missouri income tax credit for a portion of the real estate taxes or rent they have paid for the year. The credit is for a maximum of $750 for renters and $1,100 for owners who own owned and occupied their home, and can only be claimed on the home they occupied during the period being claimed. The actual credit is based on the amount of real estate taxes or rent paid and total household income.

Visit Missouri Department of Revenue for more information.

Delinquent Land Tax Sale

 Learn more about the Delinquent Land Tax Sale



Schedule your visit with the Collection Department

When visiting in person you must check in first. Text “KC” for the Kansas City office or  “Indep” for the Independence office to 816-306-9042 to reserve your place in line, or use the buttons below. 

Do Business Online

Personal Property (vehicle) questions/requests email:

Real Estate and Property questions/requests email:

Billing Questions/requests email:


Vehicle Licensing

Vehicle licensing and titling is handled by the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR). Taxpayers should direct questions regarding licensing and titling to the DOR or to local motor vehicle branch offices. See documents needed for vehicle licensing and related information here. 

More Questions

Telephones are staffed during normal business hours.


1. When will I receive my tax bill?

 Tax bills will be mailed between Veteran’s Day and Thanksgiving.  Bills should be received by December 1.

2. When are my taxes due?

Under state law taxes are due upon receipt of the tax bill but no later than December 31. Interest, penalties and fees will accrue if payment is late.

For payments made by mail to be on time, the U.S. postal service postmark date must be December 31 or earlier. If mailing on the final day, contact the Post Office to determine the office hours for mail postmark to ensure your mailed payment is timely made. Payments placed in Post Office mail drop boxes do not always receive the same day postmark. The Department of Collection highly recommends mailing several days before the December 31 deadline. For questions related to pending BOE appeals, see more information below.

3. What if I do not receive a bill?

The Department of Collection mails tax bills during November.  If a tax bill is not received by December 10th, contact the Collector's Office at 816-881-3232 or check your account online.  You can check the amount due and pay the bill at any time online at

Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the obligation to pay taxes.  Taxes not paid in full on or before December 31 will accrue interest, penalties and fees.

Telephones are staffed during regular business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays observed by Jackson County).

4. To whom do I make checks payable?

Make any check or money order payable to: Jackson County Collector and include your PROPERTY ACCOUNT NUMBER on the document. If mailing, please include the remittance. To be timely paid, all payments must be USPS postmarked by December 31.  

5. What hours are you open?

The Jackson County Courthouse in Kansas City and the Historic Truman Courthouse in Independence are open 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays observed by Jackson County.

A drop box for property tax payments will be located at the west door of the Jackson County Courthouse in Kansas City (415 E. 12th St.) and at the south door of the Historic Truman Courthouse in Independence (112 W. Lexington). Both drop boxes will close at midnight on December 31. Do not place cash in either drop box.

6. If I am paying in person, what do I need to bring?

Please bring the entire bill and your form of payment.  If you do not have your bill, a bill can be printed for you, but this does create some additional wait time.

7. How do I get a copy of my receipt?

Online:  You can find your receipt through Ascendweb.

Mail:  If you mailed in a payment, your receipt will be mailed to you after the first of the year. Your receipt will also be available online via the directions listed above as soon as the payment is received and entered. Entry of mailed payments takes longer near the end of the year.

In person:  Any time throughout the year you can get a duplicate copy of your receipt by coming in person. The cost for a duplicate receipt is $1. The use of online receipts is highly encouraged during the end of the year due to the significant wait time.

8. I just purchased this property. Why do I owe back taxes?

Taxes are a lien against the real estate and remains with the property, not the specific owner of that property. When property ownership changes, the new owner is liable for any unpaid real estate property taxes due.

9. Why do I owe the entire bill even though I only lived in the house for a few months?

The new owner/buyer has the responsibility for paying the total tax bill by December 31.

Generally, taxes are prorated between the buyer and seller. If this is being done, a proportionate amount of the estimated tax amount is credited to the buyer at the time of sale based on the number of months/days the seller owned the property during the tax year. If the buyer receives extra money at closing or loan settlement, it is recommended the buyer verify if those funds are for the payment of future taxes.

Generally, no money is paid to the Collector for taxes at the time of sale. However, a closing company as part of the sales transaction may pay any taxes currently due if known. You will have real estate property taxes to pay each year you own the property.  Taxes are levied annually and due upon receipt.

A tax bill may be generated in the previous owner's (seller's) name and mailed to their mailing address unless the purchaser advises the Jackson County Assessor's office of the change in property ownership and mailing address. If you do not receive a real estate tax bill from the Jackson County Collector by December 10, contact the Collector's office.

10. Why wasn’t my real estate bill sent to my mortgage company?

Review your contract to see if you are obligated to pay the taxes or if the mortgage company collects an escrow and pays the bill for you. If the mortgage company pays the bill for you from an escrow account, forward the bill to them.

Each mortgage company submits an annual request to Jackson County for copies of the real estate bills that they plan to pay for that tax year. The Department of Collection bills the mortgage companies based on what accounts they request. Due to the constant buying and selling of mortgages in today’s economy, sometimes the tax bill is sent to the wrong company.

11. What about my escrow account?

Mortgage companies typically pay tax bills in December and adjust your monthly payment for any changes needed. Call your mortgage company for specific answers.

12. Why do owners of commercial real property have a "Commercial Surcharge" on their tax bills?

At the election held on August 3, 1982, the voters of Missouri approved the amended provisions of section 6 of article X of the Missouri Constitution. The effective date for the amended provisions of section 6 of article X was January 1, 1985.

Merchants' & Manufacturers' Tax
The amended provisions of section 6 of article X of the Missouri Constitution established an exemption for merchants' and manufacturers' tangible personal property for tax purposes, thus eliminating the tax commonly referred to as the "Merchants' and Manufacturers' Tax."

Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 139, Section 139.600 implemented the amended changes to the Constitution. To replace the lost revenues resulting from the elimination of the "Merchants and Manufacturers' Tax," the Statute imposed a replacement tax, commonly referred to as the "Commercial Surcharge," on real property in subclass (3) of class 1 property (real property).

The Statute established the formula to determine the tax rate of the "Commercial Surcharge" for each County. The tax rate may not be increased and may only be decreased if approved by a majority of the voters of that County.

The revenue collected from the "Commercial Surcharge" is distributed to the taxing authorities in the same manner that the real estate tax is distributed to the taxing authorities.

The tax rate for the "Commercial Surcharge" in Jackson County is $1.437 per $100 of assessed valuation.

13. How do I pay under protest?

Payments under protest must be made in accordance with Missouri Statute 139.031. The language of the statute states, in part:

Any such taxpayer desiring to pay any current taxes under protest or while paying taxes based upon a disputed assessment shall, at the time of paying such taxes, make full payment of the current tax bill before the delinquency date and file with the collector a written statement setting forth the grounds on which the protest is based. The statement shall include the true value in money claimed by the taxpayer if disputed.

Please refer to the full language of the statute for additional requirements and information.

Please send payments under protest, with the corresponding bill remittance, and the corresponding letter to the address below:

Jackson County Department of Collection
Attention: Protest      
415 E. 12th Street, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64106

14. What relief is there for senior citizens?

The Missouri Department of Revenue offers Missouri Seniors and 100% disabled individuals a Property Tax Credit (Circuit Breaker) program. Information is available by calling 573-751-3505 or visiting the Missouri Department of Revenue website.

15. What relief is there for senior citizens in Jackson County?

Jackson County offers Senior Citizens a Quad Payment Program. The Senior Citizen Quad Payment Program gives Jackson County seniors the option to spread payment of their County real estate tax bills over 4 equal installments - without interest or penalties.

The following qualifications are required:

  • The program only applies to real property taxes
  • You must be 62 or older by December 31 of the tax year.
  • You must live at the address which you desire to have covered by the installment option.
  • You (not a trust) must own this real estate in fee simple or as a co-tenant, by tenancy in common, joint tenancy or tenancy by entirety.
  • All prior year taxes must be paid and not be delinquent.
  • The property is assessed solely as a residential property.
  • You must apply for the program and meet all requirements to remain in the program.
  • Real estate taxes paid by a mortgage company are not eligible.

16. How do I contact the PayIt Support Team?

If you have questions, concerns, or feedback to share, please get in touch! Please send an email to, or call at 855-798-0608

17. Do I have to create an account?

You do not have to create an account to pay online using PayIt. To proceed without creating an account, click “continue as guest”. The benefit of creating an account is that by signing up and creating a profile, PayIt is able to pre-populate form fields and expedite the payment process on your next visit.

18. What if I can’t find my property online?

If you can’t find the property using the name or address search, we recommend searching using the parcel or account number which can be found on your bill. If that doesn’t work, or if you need your account number, please contact Taxpayer Services at 816-881-3232.