County Projects

Jackson County Public Works is responsible for all county roads, highways, streets, sewers, bridges and dams by order of the Jackson County Charter. Please note: the Public Works Department is only responsible for those roads in the unincorporated part of the County.

We are eager to work with you to make sure our roads are kept in good condition and are easy for our commuters to travel.

County Overlay Program

The Public Works Road and Bridge Division uses a pavement maintenance system based on a scale of excellent, good, fair, poor or failed. The goal is to have 80% of roads at a level of good or excellent. Throughout winter, the weather plays a significant role in the wear and tear of roads. Sand, salt and the continual freezing and thawing that occurs during this time of year combine to create weak spots and potholes.

In order to keep the roads in good repair, we select a certain number of miles of road to be re-paved every year. This annual overlay program includes single chip seal, double chip seal and asphalt. Asphalt work is contracted out as is some of the single chip seal. The county uses its own road crews to do single and double chip seal. Pavement marking or striping is part of the overlay program.

Under Construction

Projects covered in the “under construction” section are projects that required a new design. These can include new or renovated culverts, road widening, intersection improvements and bridge reconstruction. These projects generally take six months or more to complete and may require partial or complete road closings. Once a project is moved to “under construction” status, the actual construction has started.

Under Design

Projects that are in the design process, either by an outside consultant or an in-house project manager are outlined in this section. These jobs can be anywhere from a month to even years away from construction depending on size and budget.

Report a Problem

For your convenience you can email your questions or concerns to Jackson County Public Works. Whether you have identified a pothole or want to report illegal trash dumping in the unincorporated area, your information will be forwarded to the appropriate department.