Environmental Health

Apply and Pay for Permits online

Environmental Health is responsible for implementing the policies and procedures of the Jackson County Food Code. They issue food permits and inspect all restaurants, grocery stores, schools, mobile food and temporary food establishments within the unincorporated area of Jackson County and the cities of Blue Springs, Buckner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Lee's Summit, Lone Jack, Oak Grove, Raytown and Sugar Creek.

Food Handler Cards   Farmers Market Stall Permit

Temporary Food Permit  Aquatic Venue Permit

Restaurant Complaint form

Below is a list of services provided by Environmental Health

Food Permit



Complete a plan review, pay fees, re-new your Food Establishment permit, or apply for a Temporary Food Permit.


Mobile Food Vendors





Prior to opening a food establishment or mobile food unit for the first time, after a change of ownership or after remodeling, you are required to obtain a Mobile Unit Permit. You must first complete the Food Establishment or New Mobile Unit Plan Review/Pre-opening Application.


Temporary Food Facilities

If you are planning to provide food at a celebration or event, you are required to obtain a Temporary Food Permit. You must complete the Temporary Food Permit Application. The fee for this permit is $55 for a permit not to exceed 14 days. A separate permit is required for each event in which a Temporary Food Establishment operates. A $30 late fee will be added to all Temporary Food Permit Applications received less than 48 hours prior to the event date.


Lodging Establishment Permit


Apply for, pay fees, or re-new your Lodging Establishment Permit.

Farmer's Market Stall Permit



Apply for, pay fees, or re-new your Farmer's Market Permit

Animal Services

Animal Services in unincorporated Jackson County are handled by Independence Animal Services at 816-325-7207. For additional assistance call the Environmental Health Department at (816) 881-6690 or email Environmental Health

Review Food & Lodging Establishment Inspections

Inspections are used by the Health Department to measure food and lodging establishments' compliance with sanitation codes. The Department provides protection against foodborne illness by assuring that foods provided by food service establishments, retail food stores, and temporary food service events are protected against contamination or adulteration.

All critical violations are corrected within 24 - 72 hours by food service establishments even though inspection report on the web may not indicate correction.


Fees at a Glance

Below is a brief outline of the permit fees per the Jackson County Food Code revised February 28, 2012. To view the full details see Chapter 40: Food Safety & Environmental Health(PDF, 62KB) of the County Code.

Permit Type
Replacement Fee $5
Low Priority Food Establishment Permit
Medium Priority Food Establishment Permit
High Priority Food Establishment Permit
Late Filing Fee - Food Establishment Permit
Mobile Unit/Push Cart Food Permit
Seasonal Permit (operating 6 months or less)
School Cafeteria Permit
Soft Serve Dessert Machine Permit
Vending Machine Permit $30
Temporary Food Establishment Permit
Non-Profit Food Establishment Permit $30
Plan Review/Pre-Opening Application
Re-inspection Fee
$110 (per re-inspection)
Catering Operation Permit
Farmer's Market Stall Permit
$30 (annually)
Non-Profit Temporary Food Establishment Permit
$30 (includes 4 events)
Late Filing Fee for Temporary Food Establishment Permit (applied if application is not files within 48 hours prior to the event date)
Lodging Establishment Permit
Food Processor/Warehouse Permit
Aquatic Venue Permit $160

To obtain a permit, the establishment must first obtain a business personal property parcel number from the Jackson County Assessment Department.

To renew a permit, the establishment must provide Environmental Health with a copy of its Business Personal Property Tax Receipt for the previous year (if it was in business as of January 1), and a copy of its Jackson County Liquor License (if applicable). A food permit will not be issued to any establishment with delinquent real estate or personal property taxes.


Reporting Food Service Health Hazards

To report a possible health hazard in food service operations within the unincorporated area of Jackson County and the cities of Blue Springs, Buckner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Lee's Summit, Lone Jack, Oak Grove, Raytown and Sugar Creek, please contact our office at (816) 881-6690 or fill out the Restaurant Complaint Form.


Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days

The Jackson County household hazardous waste collection day is October 5, 2024, from 8:00 a.m. to Noon at the Road and Bridge Facility 34900 E. Old U.S. 40 Highway, Grain Valley.

2024 Regional Household Hazardous Waste Flyer(PDF, 825KB)


Doing Business with Environmental Health

Many of the forms are online. If you would like to meet in person, the office is currently operating by appointment only. Contact Environmental Health for an appointment by phone: (816) 881-6690 or email: dsees@jacksongov.org or kmoore@jacksongov.org