Minority, Women & Veteran Owned Business

Chapter 6 and Chapter 10 of the Jackson County Code provide for the establishing of a program to diversify and expand contracting opportunities for minority, women and veteran owned companies desiring to do business with Jackson County. For contracts or projects over $50,000 the Compliance Review Office determines availability of MBE and WBE contractors, sets goals and can assist the general contractor with meeting and complying with set goals. To participate in the program, contractors must be certified as MBE or WBE firms through the City of Kansas City or the State of Missouri. Participation in the Veteran Owned Business Enterprise Program is voluntary.

What are the MBE/WBE program objectives?

To maximize opportunities for the legitimate participation of Minority and Women's Business Enterprises ("MBEs, WBEs") in contracting opportunities made available through Jackson County; and to foster positive relationships between M/WBEs and other businesses that lead to long-term opportunities for M/WBE success in both the public and private sectors.

How can I find contracting opportunities with Jackson County?

You will first need to register with the County as a vendor. Jackson County bids Public Works projects and Non-Public Works and/or Services separately so be sure to register under the correct scope of work. After registering you will receive notifications based on your scope of work and you will be able to see bid opportunities: Public Works and Non-Public Works

How does Jackson County establish goals for M/WBE participation?

Goals are assigned to contracts with valuations over $50,000 Jackson County Code Sec. 642. The Compliance Review Office will review contracts and identify scope/s of work that can be performed by subcontractors. The CRO will search the certified firm directories for the City of Kansas City and the State of Missouri. If at least 3 certified firms are identified in each category--goals will be assigned Jackson County Code Sec. 618. MBE Goals are set at 9.5% and WBE Goals are set at 11.7% Jackson County Code Sec. 604.

Does Jackson County set goals for Veteran Business Enterprises (VBE)?

Yes, Jackson County encourages and supports VBE’s. If the CRO assigns M/WBE goals to a contract, the voluntary goal equal to the lesser of the MBE or WBE goal will be established for the Veteran Business Enterprise. Jackson County Code Sec. 1056

What is a Contract Utilization Plan?

The Contractor Utilization Plan (CUP) is a list of MBEs, WBEs and VBEs that a Bidder commits will be utilized, including its own participation as a MBE or WBE, if applicable. The CUP will list scopes of the work and the dollar values and percentages of the work to be performed by the certified firms. CUPs are included in initial bid documents. Jackson County Code Sec. 626

What if my firm cannot meet the goals on a bid solicitation?

Each bidder is responsible for making every effort to satisfy the goals. If you are unable to meet the goal, you will need to document Good Faith Efforts and provide a clear narrative explaining the failure to meet the goals.

What are Good Faith Efforts?

Good faith efforts are documented efforts a bidder puts forth to achieve the MBE or WBE goals on a project. Simply stating that you cannot meet goals is not considered sufficient. You can find more information and forms on good faith efforts here Jackson County Code Sec. 620.

I am a prime contractor, how can I find MBE/WBE firms?

M/W/VBE Contractor Associations

American Indian Council
Contact: Christine Campbell
310 Armour Rd., Suite 205
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Phone: (816) 471-4898
Fax: (816) 471-8543

American Indian Enterprise & Business Council
Contact: John O’Brien
PO Box 1312
Blue Springs, MO 64013-1312
Phone: (816) 392-7611

Hispanic Contractors Association of Greater Kansas City, Inc.
Contact: William Meza
541 S. 11th St.
Kansas City, KS 66105
11100 W 91st St, Suite-150
Overland Park, KS 66214
Phone: (913) 599-5565
Cell: (913) 608-7431

Minority Contractors Association of Greater Kansas City
Contact: Joe Mabin or McKay Anderson
3200 Wayne Ave., Suite 204
Kansas City, MO 64109
Phone: (816) 924-4441
Fax: (816) 924-1803
Cell: (913) 302-2793
Email: minoritycontractors@mca-gkc.org

Mountain Plains Minority Supplier Development Council (MSDC)
Contact: Teshauna Dawkins
Phone: (303) 623-3037

National Association of Construction Contractors Cooperative (NACCC)
Contact: Sharmin Lang
6025 Prospect
Kansas City, MO 64130
Phone: (816) 923-5399
Fax: (816) 444-3226
Fax: (816) 442-8682
Additional Email: usanaccc@gmail.com

National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)
Contact: Robin Norris
720 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 595-4109
Website: www.buildersassociation.com

Women Construction Owners and Executives – KC Chapter (WCOEKC)
P.O. Box 411511
Kansas City, MO 64108
Kansas City Chapter President – President@WCOEKC.org
KC Chapter Information – Info@WCOEKC.org
Website: www.wcoekc.org
Phone: (816) 631-1700

M/W/VBE Assistance Centers

Mid-America Trade Adjustment Assistance Center (TAAC)
Contact: Donna Porch
4200 Little Blue Parkway, Suite 590
Independence, MO 64057
Phone: (816) 666-9407

Missouri Procurement Technical Assistance Center (MOPTAC)
Contact: Michelle “Shelly” Cunningham, Director
UMKC Innovation Center
4747 Troost Ave., Suite 105
Kansas City, MO  64110
Phone: (816) 235-2891

Kansas City Society of Black Architects and Engineers
Contact: Leonard Graham
Phone: (816) 283-3456

Kansas City Women’s Business Center
Fairway Corporate Center
4220 Shawnee Mission Pkwy #350b
Fairway, KS 66205
Phone: (913) 492-5922
Email: Brande Stitt

UMKC Women’s Center
Contact: Brenda Bethman
105 Haag Hall
5100 Rockhill Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64110
Phone: (816) 235-1643
Fax: (816) 235-5522

National Association of Women Business Owners – Greater KC Chapter (NAWBO)
11249 Strang Line Rd.
Lenexa, KS 66215

Urban League of Greater Kansas City
Contact: Jauqua Wilkins
1710 Paseo
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 471-0550
Fax: (816) 471-3064

M/W/VBE News and Print Publications

2más2KC Bilingual Publication
Editor: Elizabeth Lopez
8500 W. 71st St.
Overland Park, KS 66204
Phone: (913) 432-3486

Dos Mundos Bilingual Newspaper
Editor: Clara Reyes
1701 S. 55th St
Kansas City, KS 66106
Phone: (816) 221-4747
Fax: (913) 287-5881

Kansas City Call (weekly)
Editor: Donna Stewart
1715 E. 18th St.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 842-3804

Kansas City Globe Newspaper (weekly)
Managing Editor: Denise Jordan
615 E. 29th St.
Kansas City, MO 64109
Phone: (816) 531-5253
Fax: (816) 531-5256

Kansas City Hispanic News
Contract: Joe Arce 
2918 Southwest Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 472-5246
Fax: (816) 421-5247

What are the reporting requirements for M/WBE participation for prime contractors?

Prime contractors are required to report payments received from Jackson County and payments made to all subcontractors on the 15th of every month. Reports are to be emailed to CRO@jacksongov.org. Monthly reporting forms can be found here Jackson County Code Sec. 654.

Can I change my Contractor Utilization Plan (CUP) after it’s been approved by the CRO?

A contractor cannot make changes to the Utilization Plan or substitute MBEs or WBEs named in the Utilization Plan without the prior written approval of the CRO. Unauthorized changes or substitutions will constitute a breach of Contract, and may cause termination of the executed contract for breach, the withholding of payment, and/or subject the Contractor to Contract penalties or other sanctions .Jackson County Code Sec. 655-655.9.

Please submit in narrative in writing to the Compliance Review Office which includes:

  • Name and certification of Subcontractor and reason why Subcontractor will no longer be utilized
  • Name of certified firm/s that will be used in place of previous firm
  • Scope of work to be completed by substitute form · Submit to CRO@jacksongov.org

Please be prepared to complete a Good Faith Effort form if you are not able to find another certified firm