Personal Property Tax



Assessing Personal Property Tax

Personal property taxes are levied annually against tangible personal property and due December 31 each year. The United States Postal Service postmark determines the timeliness of payment. For example, a payment mailed and postmarked on December 29 is considered paid on time even though the Collector's Office does not receive the payment until January 2.

The Collector's Office mails tax bills during November. If a tax bill is not received by December 1, contact the Collector's Office at 816-881-3232. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the obligation to pay taxes and applicable late fees. Taxes not paid in full on or before December 31 will accrue interest, penalties and fees.

Taxes are assessed on personal property owned on January 1 but taxes are not billed until November of the same year. Taxes are due for the entire amount assessed and billed regardless if property is no longer owned or has been moved from Jackson County. State law requires that personal property taxes be paid before license plates on vehicles can be issued or renewed.

Personal Property Tax FAQ

1. What type of property is considered taxable personal property?
The following types of personal property are considered taxable: motor vehicles, trailers, mobile homes, watercraft, boat motors, aircraft, livestock, farm machinery and equipment, and any other personal property not exempted by law. There may be circumstances when a mobile home may be considered real property and not personal property. For more information, contact the Assessment Department.
2. I don't own this vehicle anymore, why am I getting a bill on it?
Taxes are assessed on property owned on January 1 each year. Even if you no longer own the vehicle, own a different vehicle, or no longer own any vehicle, the tax is based on what was owned on January 1. The tax amount is not prorated. The total tax amount is due December 31 or interest, penalties, and fees will be assessed.
3. Do I have to pay my taxes in person?

No, you may mail your payment (payable to Jackson County Collector), pay in person at one of the County’s Collection Department Offices or our satellite offices, or you may also pay your property taxes online or on your mobile device 24 hours a day. Please note that the online payment website will close at 11 p.m., December 31.

The Jackson County Courthouse is located at: 415 E 12th Street Suite 100 Kansas City, MO 64106

The Historic Truman Courthouse is located at: 112 W Lexington Suite 114 Independence, MO 64050

Both courthouses are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays observed by Jackson County.

To make an online payment, visit our Online Payment Program.

4. When are my taxes due?
Under state law taxes are due December 31. Interest, penalties and fees will accrue if payment is late.

For payments made by mail to be on time, the U.S. postal service postmark date must be December 31 or earlier. To ensure your mailed payment is timely, contact the Post Office to determine the office hours for mail postmark. Payments placed in Post Office Mail drop boxes do not always receive the same day postmark. The collector’s office highly recommends mailing several days before the December 31 deadline. You can read more on our Tax Deadline Information page.
5. I need to license a car not included on my paid tax receipt. What do I do?
If you bought your car after January one of last year, use last year's receipt. Property taxes are not owed on a vehicle new to you until you've owned it on January 1. If you owned the vehicle on January one of last year and it is not listed on your receipt, or is incorrect on your receipt or statement, please contact the Assessment Department.
6. I am no longer a Missouri resident. Do I still owe this tax bill?
Yes. Under state law, your tax obligation is established on January 1. Even if you move to a different state the next day, you are still taxed as if you owned the vehicle for the entire year. The tax bill is not pro-rated. The entire amount is due. However, if you move into Missouri on January 2, you are not taxed for that year.
7. I am renewing 2-year license plates. Which years’ personal property tax receipts do I need?

If you were assessed and paid taxes in Jackson County for the prior two years, you need the prior two years’ receipts. If you were assessed in another Missouri County, you should contact that county for copies of that county’s receipts. If you cannot locate your Jackson County tax receipt for the appropriate year, to reprint your Official Paid Tax Receipt visit the Research Tax Account page.

8. I have lost my personal property tax receipt. How do I obtain a duplicate?

To obtain a duplicate of your original property tax receipt for free, visit the Research Tax Account page

9. I have moved. Do I need to let you know my new address?
Yes. We mail bills to the address on file. Every year mail is returned by the Post Office as undeliverable because the forwarding time has expired. Interest, penalties and fees will accrue and are due if the bill is not paid before January 1, whether or not the bill is received by the taxpayer. Simply notifying the post office or the Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles of your new mailing address is not sufficient to insure a change to your county tax account. You may update your address by visiting the Assessment Department or by mailing a completed change of address form to: 

Jackson County Assessment
ATTN: Taxpayer Service
415 E. 12TH St. Ste. 1M
Kansas City, MO 64106-2745

10. Why is my tax bill so high?

The amount of tax you owe is based on the assessed value of the tangible personal property you owned on January one of that year and the levy rates provided by the political subdivisions (example, school districts, city, fire district, etc.) in which you reside. The higher the assessed value, the higher the amount due will be. Additional fees such as city sticker fees or late declaration filing fees may also appear in your bill total. The value of the property is determined by the county assessor using standardized information. The assessed value of your vehicles and other property is listed on your tax bill.

Your personal property tax is calculated by dividing the assessed value of the property by 100, and then multiplying that value by the levy rate for your area:

Personal Property Tax = (Assessed Value/100) x (Levy Rate)

The Collection Department cannot lower your assessed value, levy rate or tax bill amount.
11. How do I avoid paying late fees?
Your payment must be received by the collector or postmarked no later than December 31. Interest, penalties and fees will accrue if payment is late. Online payment is late if made after the online payment website closes at 11 p.m., December 31. Online payment is not made until the online payment transaction is completed. Payment by mail will be late if postmarked after December 31. Late payment must include interest, penalties and fees as accrued for the month of payment. Additional interest, penalty and fee charges will accumulate on the first of each month beginning January 1 until the bill is paid in full.

When taxes are not paid in a timely manner, Missouri law requires the Collector to impose penalty, fee and interest charges additional to the base tax. Historically, some delinquent taxpayers have requested waivers for these additional charges. Please be advised that the Jackson County Collector does not waive penalties, interest or fees resulting from late payment by a taxpayer.

If you believe your payment was made timely and that late charges were therefore assessed in error please mail documentation necessary to support your belief to the Collection Department.
12. What items do I take with me to renew my license plates?
You will need:
- Paid personal property tax receipt(s) or statement of non-assessment as requested by the Department of Revenue
- Motor vehicle inspection slip, if required
- Proof of insurance
- Title or renewal notice, if applicable

For more information, visit the Missouri Department of Revenue website.
13. I have a city sticker fee listed on my tax bill. What is this fee?
There are 7 cities that charge a city sticker fee for autos, truck and cycles within their city limits.
14. I did not owe personal property taxes last year in Jackson County. How can I obtain my license plates?
The Motor Vehicle Bureau will accept a non-assessment form in place of a paid property tax receipt. This form states that you were neither assessed nor owe taxes in Jackson County. You may obtain a non-assessment form from the Assessment Department if:
- You are new to the state of Missouri
- You are licensing the first vehicle in your name
- You do not have personal property tax obligation to any Missouri county

For additional information, contact the Assessment Department.
15. I recently moved to Jackson County from another state and have never paid personal property tax in Missouri. What do I need to do?
If you have recently moved to Jackson County, you will need to visit the Jackson County Assessment Department, 816-881-1330. You can also contact the Department online.


Please click here for a list of required documentation.

16. I recently moved to Jackson County from another county in Missouri. What do I need to do?

If you have current paid property tax receipts or a tax waiver from your previous county for the last two years, you will take these along with the other required information, such as titles/application for title, vehicle registrations or renewals, to the Department of Revenue branch office. However, it is important that you contact the Jackson County Assessment Department by calling 816-881-1330, and let them know you are now a resident of Jackson County and need to be placed on the tax rolls. You can learn more from the Assessment Department.

17. I lease my vehicle. Who pays the personal property taxes?
The leasing company is billed for personal property taxes on all vehicles it owned on January 1. Please check your lease agreement for additional information. Please do not add your leased vehicle to your personal property declaration as the leased vehicle is owned by the leasing company, not you as an individual taxpayer.
18. My leasing company pays my personal property taxes. What will I need to take to the license bureau?
You will need:
- Paid personal property tax receipt(s) listing the leased vehicle or statement of non-assessment as requested by the Department of Revenue
- Motor vehicle inspection slip, if required
- Proof of insurance
- Title or renewal notice, if applicable

For further information, visit the Missouri Department of Revenue website.