Check Property Code Violations


Don't be caught by surprise buying a house only to then discover it has an existing code violation that must be corrected, possibly before the property can be occupied.

Be Informed

While responsible for enforcing code violations only in the unincorporated areas of the county, Jackson County urges everyone considering the purchase of any property to make a fully informed decision. Before you buy, check with the local city government -- or, if in an unincorporated area, Jackson County -- to learn whether or not a property has any pending code violations and, if so, what the nature of those violations are.


Contact Environmental Health Division

For information about property code violations in unincorporated Jackson County, contact the Environmental Health Division of the Public Works Department at 816-881-4649.

Contact City Officials

Performing a title search will not always result in sufficient information about possible code violations. Instead, contact the city officials where the property is located to inquire about any outstanding code violations, including whether or not the property has been marked as uninhabitable.

Search Tool

The City of Kansas City, Missouri does provide this "Find the Status of a Property or Nuisance Violation" online search tool.

Code Violation Contact List

Contacts for other cities regarding a property's codes-violation status include:

City Phone Number
Blue Springs Codes Administration
City of Buckner
City of Grain Valley
Grandview Neighborhood Services Division
City of Greenwood
Independence Code Compliance Division
Lee's Summit Neighborhood Services Division
City of Oak Grove
City of Pleasant Hill
Raytown Community Development Department
Sugar Creek Building Department