FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

This page is devoted to answering some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you do not find the answer to your question, please email us.
Where do I file the documents?
Real Estate located in Jackson County, irrespective of location, can be recorded at either of the following locations:
Jackson County Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Department
415 E 12th Street
Room 104
Kansas City, MO 64106

Historic Truman Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Department
112 W Lexington
Suite 30
Independence, MO 64050

Important Note: The Recorder of Deeds processes its mail at the department's Independence office. Please send all documents for recording to the Independence address listed here.

Our real estate records date back to 1826 and copies of these documents are available to the public at either courthouse location. Documents may be filed in person or they may be mailed with your check.

Show All Answers

1. How much does it cost to file a real estate document?
2. Where do I file the documents?
3. To whom should I make the check payable?
4. Does each document need to be notarized?
5. What is the required information contained in any real estate filing?
6. Can you help me fill out the documents?
7. What is required in filing plats and surveys?
8. What do I do if my original recorded document is lost?