FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

This page is devoted to answering some of the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you do not find the answer to your question, please email us.
When are my taxes due?
Under state law taxes are due upon receipt of the tax bill but no later than December 31. Interest, penalties and fees will accrue if payment is late.

For payments made by mail to be on time, the U.S. postal service postmark date must be December 31 or earlier. To ensure your mailed payment is timely, contact the Post Office to determine the office hours for mail postmark. Payments placed in Post Office Mail drop boxes do not always receive the same day postmark. The collector’s office highly recommends mailing several days before the December 31 deadline. You can read more on our Tax Deadline Information page.

Show All Answers

1. What type of property is considered taxable personal property?
2. I don't own this vehicle anymore, why am I getting a bill on it?
3. Do I have to pay my taxes in person?
4. When are my taxes due?
5. I need to license a car not included on my paid tax receipt. What do I do?
6. I am no longer a Missouri resident. Do I still owe this tax bill?
7. I am renewing 2-year license plates. Which years’ personal property tax receipts do I need?
8. I have lost my personal property tax receipt. How do I obtain a duplicate?
9. I have moved. Do I need to let you know my new address?
10. Why is my tax bill so high?
11. How do I avoid paying late fees?
12. What items do I take with me to renew my license plates?
13. I have a city sticker fee listed on my tax bill. What is this fee?
14. I did not owe personal property taxes last year in Jackson County. How can I obtain my license plates?
15. I recently moved to Jackson County from another state and have never paid personal property tax in Missouri. What do I need to do?
16. I recently moved to Jackson County from another county in Missouri. What do I need to do?
17. I lease my vehicle. Who pays the personal property taxes?
18. My leasing company pays my personal property taxes. What will I need to take to the license bureau?