Common Reasons for Document Rejections
Below is a listing of some of the most common reasons documents are rejected for recording and returned to the submitting party. By ensuring that your documents do not violate the following requirements you can significantly reduce the chances that your document will be rejected for recording.
- Incorrect Fee submitted with document. Fees for a standard document are $21 for the first page of each document, and $3 for each additional page.
- Date, title, names of all grantors, grantees, grantee's address, and legal description of property must all be contained on the first page of each document, within the margins. If there is not sufficient room on the first page, the first page must show exactly where to find the information within the document.
- The first page must have a 3-inch margin at the top, and at least a 3/4 inch margin all the way around. Succeeding pages must have at least a 3/4 inch margin all the way around. Essential document information may not be contained in the margins.
- Documents must be submitted on white, 8 1/2 by 11 inch, single sided paper.
- Documents affecting real estate must contain a legal description of the property affected.
- Missouri law requires that all signatures on a document must have the corresponding name typed, printed, or stamped underneath the signature.
- All documents transferring an interest in real estate must contain the mailing address for the first named grantee, and this address should be on the first page of the document.
- Documents altered for re-recording must be re-signed, and re-acknowledged. Please keep in mind that they must still meet the first page formatting standards. This often means a new cover page with a three-inch margin must be added to the document.
- A release of a deed of trust originally signed prior to January 1, 1986 must be submitted along with the original note so the note can be canceled. If the original note is lost, the submitter must record an affidavit of holder of note, and an affidavit of the maker of the note.
- There is no charge for the first referenced document on a deed of release. Each additional reference is $5.00.