Applying for Licenses

Where to Apply
You can apply for a marriage license at either of the 2 Jackson County Recorder of Deeds offices:
Jackson County Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Office
415 E 12th Street
Room 104
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: 816-881-1577

Historic Truman Courthouse
Recorder of Deeds Department
112 W Lexington
Suite 30
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-881-4608

When to Apply
Both offices are open Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except for legal holidays.

Application Requirements
  • Both parties must appear together at the Recorder of Deeds office.
  • Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. Read important application requirements for those wishing to marry after their 15th birthday but prior to turning 18 - as well as legal guidelines for marriages of individuals under 15 years old
  • Both must provide their Social Security numbers. (No SSN card is required.)
  • Both must have proper identification.
  • Note: If either applicant is divorced or widowed, applicant(s) must provide the month/year the last marriage ended.