Stay at Home FAQs
Effective 12:01 am Tuesday, March 24 Jackson County, Missouri, is requiring people to stay-at-home except for essential needs. The intent of this order is to ensure the maximum number of people self-isolate in their places of residence to the maximum extent feasible.
Vulnerable populations including the elderly and those with underlying health conditions must stay-at-home. All community members should stay-at-home except to perform essential duties for business continuity or government functions, to get food, care for a relative or friend, get necessary health care or perform activities related to maintaining a healthy lifestyle during this time.
It is OK to go outside for walks if you are not in a group and practice proper social distancing.
This order is in effect until at least April 24.
It may be extended depending on recommendations from public health officials.
The Health Director, working in coordination with Environmental Health and the County Sheriff’s office has the authority to protect the community and make decisions regarding individual restaurants, establishments and businesses. To report a restaurant, establishment or business that you feel is not in compliance with the recent order please contact us:
Jackson County Health Department Hotline: 816-404-9883
Email Us: COVID19@tmcmed.org
Online Form: https://form.jotform.com/200574798421056
Questions for Jackson County e-mail: Coronavirusinfo@jacksongov.org
- Why are we doing this?
- What can I do? What is open?
- What are Essential Businesses & Operations?
- What is an example of a non-essential business?
- How long will we stay home?
- What is closed?
- What can't I do?
- Is this mandatory or is it just guidance?
- Where does this apply?
- What if I need to get healthcare from my medical provider?
- Can I leave home to visit friends or family members if there is no urgent need?
- Can I still get deliveries from online stores? Can I order from online stores?
- Can I use ride share or on-demand service or a taxi?
- Can I take public transport (bus, streetcar)
- Can I get my prescriptions or other health care needs? Can I leave home to go to the pharmacy?
- How will I get food and medicines I need if I must stay in my home?
- Should I stock up on food, necessities like toilet paper and on medicines?
- Can I leave home to care for my elderly parents or friends who require assistance to care for themselves?
- Can I visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility or other residential care facility?
- What should I do if I am sick and need to go to the hospital or a medical provider? How can I protect others?
- What if I can't get out of the home? How can I get supplies and food?
- What about childcare and preschool?
- Can I go buy pet food or take my pet to the vet?
- I receive mental health treatment, can I still go to their office?
- Can I go for a walk in my neighborhood?
- Do I have to perform social distancing at home with my family?
- What happens if I don't comply with this order?
- Can I still go to church, synagogue or mosque?
- What about if I need medical care?
- I own a business, what am I supposed to do?
- Is there relief for small business?
- I have tickets to an event, will I get my money back?
- How do I prove that I am allowed to be outside?
- Do I have to report to Jury Duty?
- What if I work in a different county that is not implementing this type of order?
- I am an Uber/Lyft driver, can I still work?
- I operate a grocery store, I am worried about people hoarding, looting and too many people in the store at once, what do you recommend?
- My child is away at college, can I go pick them up and return home?
- My wedding is scheduled next week at my church, can it still go on?
- Will cemeteries remain open?
- I operate a food bank that services dinner, can I still operate?
- I don't have a washer/dryer in my home. Can I leave to do laundry?
- I am homeless. How can I comply with the order?
- My business does not fall under one of the categories deemed essential, can it remain open if health precautions are taken?
- I am unclear whether my business qualifies as essential or non-essential. Can I receive a formal recommendation from the city as to whether I qualify?
- Are Golf Courses essential business?
- What are Essential Businesses & Operations?
- Can I go outside, take a walk or run, walk my dog, spend time in a park or trail?
- Car Washes
- Can I handle my custody arrangements with my children per normal?
- Are liquor stores and other markets that sell liquor classified as essential?