Jackson County Public Works

PLEASE REMEMBER... Jackson County Public Works takes care of roads, bridges, sewers, signs, code enforcement, etc. for the unincorporated area of the County. If you live in one of Jackson County's cities and want to report a problem or submit a maintenance request, please call the public works department for YOUR city. You can find the number on the "Public Works Agencies" page.

Problem Categories:

Animal Control
Jackson County contracts with Great Plains SPCA for animal control services, and it provides this service for the unincorporated parts of the county.

If you live in unincorporated Jackson County and need an animal picked up during regular service hours (8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays) call Great Plains SPCA at 913-475-6164. Emergency Call out hours are 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends. These calls are handled by the Jackson County Sheriff's Department at 816-524-4300.

For complete information on Animal Control in Jackson County, you can go to Chapter 45 of the Jackson County Code.

Food Establishment Complaints
If you wish to file a complaint about a food establishment, you must call the Environmental Health Division at (816) 881-7070. Please note: If the establishment is located within the city limits of Kansas City or Independence, you must contact their Health Departments directly.

Kansas City Food Complaints: (816) 513-6315
Independence Food Complaints: (816) 325-7194

Example of Illegal DumpingIllegal Dumping
Every day Public Works trucks in every county, in every city spend valuable work time picking up trash that is illegally dumped along roadsides and in parks. Please help us keep Jackson County beautiful. What to do if you witness someone dumping trash in the unincorporated part of Jackson County or you come across a large amount of trash along the roadside?

If you are able, write down the vehicle description including License plate Number, the date, time & location. If able take pictures of the activity. Please do not attempt to intervene. If the violation is in progress call 911. If not please send an e-mail to pworks@jacksongov.org with all noted information. 

Nuisance Complaints
If you live in the unincorporated part of Jackson County and have a complaint about weeds, junk cars, trash, sewage or other issues in your neighborhood, you can call Steve Schnell at 816-881-4515. If you are unsure whether or not there is an ordinance with regard to your problem you can go to Chapter 44 of the Jackson County Code.

Road Maintenance Request
Jackson County Public Works is responsible for the upkeep of those roads and bridges that are located in the unincorporated area of the County. Our crews monitor the roads often, but they also rely on input from residents and commuters.

If you see a problem on any Jackson County road in the unincorporated area, please use this form to alert our Road and Bridge team. If you're not sure if it's in the County's jurisdiction, please give as specific a location as possible so we can determine who is responsible. Thank you for helping us give you a safer, more convenient road system.

Fill Out The Road Maintenance Request Form



Privacy Policy | Site Map | Contact Us | © 2015 Jackson County, Missouri

Translate this page: