County Executive to Join Local Mayors
in Celebrating Conclusion of Pumpkin Plays
October 25, 2013 (KANSAS CITY, MO) – This Saturday, as a part of Halloween festivities on the Independence Square, Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders will join local mayors to announce the winner of the 1st Annual Pumpkin Playoffs.
The announcement will be made at 1:30 on the south steps (Lexington Street Side) of the Historic Truman Courthouse in downtown Independence.
Saturday’s announcement will be just one part of an afternoon full of activities on the Independence Square. From 1:30 to 2:30, children will be able to trick or treat with merchants on the square. At 3:00 PM, the Independence Chamber of Commerce will host the 65th Annual Halloween Parade on the square.
County Executive Sanders and nine mayors representing cities throughout Jackson County have taken part in a pumpkin carving contest to raise money and awareness for various local charities. Since Tuesday, October 22, the carved pumpkins have been on display in the first floor lobby of the Truman Courthouse. Citizens can still cast their votes for their favorite pumpkin by checking their favorite entry on donation envelopes and dropping the envelopes, with their monetary donations, into a locked ballot box.
Voting ends on Saturday at noon. The pumpkin with the most donations will be declared this year’s winner.
The Pumpkin Playoffs participants and their charities:
- Jackson County, County Executive Mike Sanders - Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired
- Blue Springs Mayor Carson Ross - Community Services League of Blue Springs
- Grain Valley Mayor Mike Todd - Grain Valley Holiday Senior Baskets
- Grandview Mayor Steve Dennis - Grandview Assistance Program
- Independence Mayor Don Reimal - Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City (Independence Unit)
- Kansas City Mayor Sly James - Turn the Page KC
- Lee’s Summit Mayor Randy Rhoads - One Good Meal
- Oak Grove Mayor Mark Fulks - Community Services League of Oak Grove
- Raytown Mayor David Bower - Raytown Three Trails Kiwanis
- Sugar Creek Mayor Matt Mallinson - Sugar Creek Citizens Civic Relief Commission
NEWS RELEASE ARCHIVES