Programs & Activities
The following is a short list of Jackson County’s continuing environmental programs and activities.
- Workplace Recycling - 70 different items recycled in all facilities daily.
- EarthWalk 2007 - Jackson County wins Top Government Team!
- Clean Out Your Files Day 2008 - The County recycles 21.5 tons of paper, but the paper is just half the story as another 20 tons of material is all recycled. (Savings!)
- Computer Recycling
- Furniture Reuse
- Rotating Recycling Centers - Lake Lotawana Recycling Center is operated by the Lee's Summit School District. Grain Valley has assumed full responsibility for its center, as Raytown has for its center. (Savings!)
- Energy Efficiency and Water Conservation - Jackson County Operating Engineers monitor 9 County buildings for energy efficiency and water saving programs, previously monitored by a Johnson Controls contract. (Savings!)
County Executive Mike Sanders pitches in during Clean Out Your Files Day at the Jackson County Courthouse.
Other Programs & Activities
- Blue River and Upper Blue River Watershed Initiatives
- Boy Scouts Community Partnership
- Chiefs Kids Recycling Challenge
- County Executive Drives Hybrid Vehicle (Savings!)
- Employee Environmental Training
- EPA Cooperation (Ozone Alert Day, Air Quality, etc.)
- Green Building Permits
- Green Flash Distribution
- Green Purchasing - from re-manufactured toner cartridges, to cleaning supplies, office supplies, carpet, and more.
- Green Transit Incentives
- Infiltration and Inflow Plan
- Jackson County Stormwater Commission
- Jail Waste Diversion and Cardboard Bailing
- Kansas City Climate Protection
- Lake Clean Up Day
- LEED Certification Program
- MARC Partnerships on Solid Waste, Air Quality, Water Quality, Household Hazardous Waste
- Missouri River Relief Project
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination
- Parks Recycling
- Plastic and Styrofoam Recycling
- Resource Conservation Committees
- Reuse Centers
- Stadiums Recycling
- Trigen Energy Project
- Used Oil Burning Furnace