Appealing Assessments

There are 3 ways you can take action to appeal your property assessment:

  1. Informal Review: If you are not satisfied with the estimated 2017 market value placed on your property or you feel your reassessment notice is incorrect, you may file an Informal Review Request with the Assessment Department by calling 816-881-4601 during regular business hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday, excluding holidays observed by Jackson County) or by completing the Informal Review Request form online on or before Monday, June 12, 2017.

  2. Board of Equalization: You have the right to appeal the estimated 2017 market value placed on your property to the Jackson County Board of Equalization (BOE). Appeals to the BOE must be filed on or before Monday, July 10, 2017. This date is set by Missouri state law; Jackson County has no authority to extend it. Along with your appeal form, you should provide documentation to support your opinion of value. You do not need to be present for your hearing; the board will consider all evidence submitted with your appeal. If you indicate that you prefer to attend a hearing, the board will notify you of the date and time scheduled for your hearing. The BOE is located in the:

    Jackson County Courthouse
    415 E 12th Street
    Kansas City, MO 64106

    You can contact the Board at 816-881-3309.

  3. State Tax Commission (STC): If you disagree with the decision of the Board of Equalization, you may file an appeal to the State Tax Commission. Appeals must be filed within 30 days of the Board of Equalization's decision or by September 30, 2017, whichever is later. For more information about filing an appeal see Missouri State Tax Commission.